Benefits to static IP?

Hi guys

I’ve noticed you offer a static IP for an additional £1/month, I just wondered what are the benefits to this over a dynamic IP? Would it improve the speed/performance of the connection at all or is it more of a convenience for remote working/VOIP, etc.

Thanks
Greg

2 Likes

Hi Greg,

You’re correct it is more for the convenience factor of being able to access things remotely when you’re not at home. With a static IP you also have the potential to run a website or server from your home as well.

Some employers also like you to have a static IP to access internal company systems from your home (sensitive documents/systems for example).

Hope that helps you make your decision.

Cheers
Alex

3 Likes

First post! Woop woop @afenton90. @PhantomR1982 I tried very hard to not to misspell anything in this post…

1 Like

First post? First like.

2 Likes

Welcome To The Cuckoo Community @afenton90 !!! :egg: :smiley: Lurking behind the forum scenes since the 20th October 2020 but well done on the post i cant find a fault with it.

Misspell or not @alex you still mixed up your english or is that scottish you is speakin ??? And the other alex wrote the post not you “@ceoalex” or “@bigbossalex”.

@Greg Also with a Static IP although being cosmetic it will be easier to memorise the home location for example setting up your personal home CCTV Camera system (if you have one) remotely or via an app without having to signup for a Dynamic DNS Service (DDNS) where they give you a custom web address to always connect to things and there service updates/checks your dynamic (everchanging) ip address in the background to always be reachable via the web address for example “gregsplace.ddns.com” which points to 1.2.3.4 then 2.3.4.5 then 3.4.5.6…and so on.

2 Likes

Thanks for the extra info, do you think there would be any reduction in ping or more accurate location information with a static IP? Just as I’ve noticed switching to Cuckoo, my IP location has been jumping around all over the place (upto 75 miles away from my actual location some days).

Thanks
Greg

2 Likes

Static IP’s are just like a landline phone number to an exchange really as far as im aware
they are just a fixed number for your connection,but i know where your coming from as
I would like them to have additional features as well.

The ping is defined by how long it takes your router to contact your nearest internet server
and i’ve seen that as well with my connection where im rarely connected close to home
and more like miles away.

One day im in porthmadog,wales,next day im in oswestry shropshire,later in the day im in pentre gb,and the ping is how long it takes to connect to these random points and back to my router,on average im seeing 15-21ms pings/latencys on my side which is terrible (not cuckoo) but when i attempt to play online games its near on impossible to stay stable as the pings go into the 1200-1800ms range and
my connections download speed is gone by at least 75% and i freeze.

Pings are tricky to nail down unless you can find a good local server with a low ping.

I’ve opened a google map for a real world game i use and the map stated i was
in the middle of wales based on my connection details so maybe the IP addresses
do have some configurable location data options on them that could be tweaked
but as of this moment im unsure how to do that…personally id like to see being
connected to local servers to see if the connections are better but this out of
our control as users.

2 Likes

I think you should move home to wherever your ping takes you @PhantomR1982. :yum:

2 Likes

Ping-pong-couch-surfing could be a viral sensation post-Covid! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@alex It feels like im teleporting around the country all this internet hopping just
to find a decent enough signal to use and its not really good to create a stable
network as most ISP’s brag about.

@greg if only i could put wheel and an engine into my sofa with a big antenna
on the back next to a touch screen interface wheel thats powered by a WISP
to get me moving.

That reminds me I was with a community on twitch where on friday nights we
could have fun with the crew where they put a remote control buggy online
and as everyone in chat typed the commands we could drive it around the
studio behind the scenes looking for certain objects it was quite fun with
people confusing the poor buggy at 3am in the morning while the good
users where trying to drive straight to find the rewards.

Ahh good times :smiley:

2 Likes

@PhantomR1982 Haha. okay new plan, a Cuckoo shaped RC egg, it drives door-to-door and on command opens up to reveal an exclusive Cuckoo broadband offer… the same one we all get. Money saving, socially distanced guerilla marketing at its finest.

Controls should be implemented via this discourse forum.

2 Likes

That sounds like @alex 's Current Car ??? As i know he drives around promoting
Cuckoo in Londonium.

I can just see a Slimline Flat Screen cracking out the top of the egg with the cuckoo offer
on the screen saying “We’ve Hatched Join Cuckoo Broadband NOW !!”

1 Like

This is me in Trafalgar Square the other day…

2 Likes

@Greg I want to do this so bad.

@PhantomR1982 I prefer calling London Lundenwic

2 Likes

I think the classic 1960’s Adam West Batman show called it “Londinium”

1 Like