Can't connect Google Nest hub

Hi, I’m hoping someone can help me with router settings please.

I got connected to Cuckoo broadband today in a new house. All is working fine, I’ve got phones, laptops etc connected…

…apart from my Google Nest Home Hub (the one with the small display). It fails upon connecting to the Cuckoo wireless network. I’m pretty certain it’s a problem with a setting in the Technicolor Router, because the Home Hub works fine if I create a temporary WiFi hotspot using my phone, and worked fine at my old house on two different routers and ISPs.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Stephen

Hello Stephen,

May I suggest splitting the WiFi bands. IoT (internet of things) devices like smart heating thermostats and other things generally only work on 2.4Ghz band.

Let me know if you need any help doing this.

I finally got this working. I still don’t know the root cause of the problem. But leaving the Google Hub trying to connect for 20-30 minutes eventually results in a successful WiFi connection.

The lengthy time required means setting up the Google Hub with the Cuckoo Technicolor Router always failed. Instead, I set up a hotspot on my phone with exactly the same SSID and password. The Google Hub successfully gets set up, then I turned off my hotspot, waited a while, and found the Google Hub had connected to Cuckoo WiFi.

I tried various things like disabling 5GHz WiFi, amending firewalls, adding DNS servers, and checking UPnP was on. Otherwise all my settings are standard out of the box.

Hopefully this helps others. I’d be interested in a reply if anyone does figure out what the underlying problem is. @gouledw - thanks for getting in touch.