Feedback from new sign-up

Things I like about Cuckoo:

• Rolling contract but doesn’t milk you for it like most broadband companies do
  • Doesn’t try to bundle unwanted add-ons repeatedly through the sales funnel
  • Clear and simple offering, pricing, and terms - easy for renters who split bills to understand exactly how much they’ll be charged and when (this is often unclear with traditional ISPs, hidden/surprise charges etc)
  • Offers high speeds… will have to wait and see if this is delivered
  • The core team are actually replying to feedback left on this forum
  • Cuckoo Compass is cute

Things I noticed which I would improve:

• You claim that everyone will pay exactly the same amount, always, so no customer ever feels like they’re being shafted by you in the same way as traditional broadband companies shaft their customers for loyalty, but then you have a box for promo codes (assuming this means referral bonuses) during your sales funnel. I think this is poor UX - contradicts one of your core brand messages and a USP. Made me feel like I could be getting a better deal from you. If it is for referrals, maybe re-tag the box as a ‘referral code’ or similar?
  • The one thing that did annoy me and make me feel genuinely missold was that you initially claimed to have me online on September 24th (a long lead time I thought given no switch has to happen in my case - just plug in and go, but thought I’d give you BoD because I like the rest of Cuckoo’s offering). However, immediately after I purchased you then told me I wouldn’t be online until the 28th and that only my router would be delivered between the 21st and 24th. Not sure what happened here, but consistency and being totally upfront with timelines is key. Also, if you’re selling 1 month rolling broadband contracts, having to wait almost a month to even get online in the first place seems like a big obstacle for you guys as a business. The kind of customers interested in 1 month contracts (like me) probably also really value plug-and-play setup: any way to speed this up? I would pay a higher setup fee if you could get me online in days rather than weeks.
  • At the end of your sales funnel, add a quick summary of personal details - particularly address, so I can triple check that I’ve not been an idiot and put the wrong delivery address in.
  • You do provide this info after purchasing, but I would’ve appreciated you saying exactly when you were going to take my setup fee and my first monthly charge out of my account before I bought. I was nervous that you’d bill me for the first month before my router had even arrived (I know, I know - I just have PTSD from BT, Sky, Virgin, etc)
  • More charitable options for Compass (I’m sure this will come with time)

FYI I heard about you guys through your Instagram ads and they converted me immediately - big props to whoever’s doing your marketing and creative, they’re smashing it (imo, at least). Good targeting, too: I am your target market :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Totally agree on the promo box and the date confirmations, raised similar points in another thread.

2 Likes

Firstly, welcome to the community @twhit and thank you for spending time to let us know what you think of Cuckoo!

You are the second customer to bring up the point about the promo code this week. From a business side, we thought it would be nice to use the promo code feature with different partners or groups of people. For example we are working with some influencers that we’ve given them their own code to share with followers. However, I totally hear you on the point it could be perceived going a little against one of our brand messages of wanting to be fair to all customers etc. This feedback is extremely important to us so i’ll bring it up with the team next week.

I’ll try and answer this as concisely as possible:
In terms of the time it took to get you online unfortunately this is dictated by Openreach who own the underlying network. Typically most customers go-live date is 10 working days after they sign up. This can be delayed/pushed out if any engineering work needs to take place at the exchange, or in your home. We would LOVE to reduce this time, but unfortunately it’s out of our control. To counter this, we are looking into supplying a wireless solution for people that need to get online quick. Watch this space etc!

With regards to the router despatch/go-live date not being accurate, @dan (Head of Tech) and I have spent this week completely rebuilding the communications (emails, SMS etc) customers get when they sign up so timings are dynamic and accurate. We’re deploying it live tonight! I’m pretty excited about this update tbh as it’s been a pain point for some customers such as yourself.

Great shout – added to our features backlog to pick up next week. (seems obvious now that you’ve said it)

We made some changes to this last few weeks so you might have just missed out – but I’m going to check that we specifically call this info out before you hit the final ‘complete order’.

Couldn’t agree more. We initially looked at supporting some less-broadband more-ecological based projects as well. I would love to hear your feedback on the Compass actually. Clearly you think it’s a positive part of our brand but what charities or projects would you like to support? Do you like the fact that we force users to set their compass at sign up? Is there anything more we could do?

PS Thanks for the kind words on the marketing and creative! Out of curiosity, which ad(s) did you get served that were most effective (we’ve got a couple running)

Tommy (Head of Brand & UX)

2 Likes

Hey Tommy, cheers for writing back! I think it’s so cool that your team are actively engaging with customers on this forum and not just leaving it to gather dust.

For example we are working with some influencers that we’ve given them their own code to share with followers.

Ah, see this does make me feel a bit like I’ve been had. We’re all part of one “flock”, but if I follow certain influencers, I get cheaper broadband than the next guy? What came to mind for me when I saw your ‘loyalty tax’ piece was giffgaff, actually - I did some creative for them so am quite familiar I guess, but they’re huge on mutuality and all being part of one community. They’ve got a really strong brand which tries so hard to make customers feel like they’re never being overcharged, and that they’re all part of one tight-knit group. You’ve obviously done your homework with your brand positioning but I do feel like engaging with certain influencers privileges certain customers above others, which necessarily conflicts with the giffgaff ‘mutuality’/‘flock’ idea you’ve got. Tricky one to balance while you’re growing.

In terms of the time it took to get you online unfortunately this is dictated by Openreach who own the underlying network. Typically most customers go-live date is 10 working days after they sign up. This can be delayed/pushed out if any engineering work needs to take place at the exchange, or in your home. We would LOVE to reduce this time, but unfortunately it’s out of our control. To counter this, we are looking into supplying a wireless solution for people that need to get online quick. Watch this space etc!

This is fair enough, after I’d posted I did a bit of a read around the forum and learned this. I immediately thought ‘could they just post a mobile broadband dongle as a stop-gap measure for those ten days, for an extra fee?’ but thankfully you’re way ahead of me! Glad to hear the timings are being tweaked though, I’m excited to get online :slight_smile:

Couldn’t agree more. We initially looked at supporting some less-broadband more-ecological based projects as well. I would love to hear your feedback on the Compass actually. Clearly you think it’s a positive part of our brand but what charities or projects would you like to support? Do you like the fact that we force users to set their compass at sign up? Is there anything more we could do?

This was a fantastic part of your sales funnel. Calling it out early (and forcing people to engage with it) like you do makes it feel like an integral part of the offering rather than some vanity flim-flam you’ve tacked onto the end for karma points. I was surprised to see that, and really hope that forcing folks to choose like that doesn’t cause them to drop out the funnel because I loved it. It also made me feel very part of what you’re doing, even before I’d clicked ‘buy’. As for other causes, this is just me personally but I’d love to support an environmental cause. Could we make Cuckoo carbon-neutral…?

PS Thanks for the kind words on the marketing and creative! Out of curiosity, which ad(s) did you get served that were most effective (we’ve got a couple running)

Argh I’m really sorry, I can’t! I’ll keep refreshing Instagram and see if it reappears - it was a carousel within my feed, I remember the copy was very much ‘broadband sucks; we’re a challenger brand; £30 monthly rolling contract for fibre, no hassle, no hidden fees’. I’d been shopping around for a couple of days getting quite depressed that FTTP upstarts like Hyperoptic wouldn’t serve my new flat and I was resigning myself to misery with the traditional ISPs, then your ad appeared and converted me straight away. Definitely stood out from the other broadband ads I’ve been getting which are all ‘buy broadband (24 month contract) and we’ll bundle TV* and phones** and maybe line rental for £x a month*** if you buy within the next 4 minutes (terms apply)’ I’ll let you know if I see it again!

2 Likes

Yeah interestingly we initially looked at supporting two very different causes e.g. Environmental + Getting Internet to people that needed it, but we dismissed it for MVP. We’ll be looking at this in the future though.

Definitely hear you on that one!

2 Likes