Things I like about Cuckoo:
- Rolling contract but doesn’t milk you for it like most broadband companies do
- Doesn’t try to bundle unwanted add-ons repeatedly through the sales funnel
- Clear and simple offering, pricing, and terms - easy for renters who split bills to understand exactly how much they’ll be charged and when (this is often unclear with traditional ISPs, hidden/surprise charges etc)
- Offers high speeds… will have to wait and see if this is delivered
- The core team are actually replying to feedback left on this forum
- Cuckoo Compass is cute
Things I noticed which I would improve:
- You claim that everyone will pay exactly the same amount, always, so no customer ever feels like they’re being shafted by you in the same way as traditional broadband companies shaft their customers for loyalty, but then you have a box for promo codes (assuming this means referral bonuses) during your sales funnel. I think this is poor UX - contradicts one of your core brand messages and a USP. Made me feel like I could be getting a better deal from you. If it is for referrals, maybe re-tag the box as a ‘referral code’ or similar?
- The one thing that did annoy me and make me feel genuinely missold was that you initially claimed to have me online on September 24th (a long lead time I thought given no switch has to happen in my case - just plug in and go, but thought I’d give you BoD because I like the rest of Cuckoo’s offering). However, immediately after I purchased you then told me I wouldn’t be online until the 28th and that only my router would be delivered between the 21st and 24th. Not sure what happened here, but consistency and being totally upfront with timelines is key. Also, if you’re selling 1 month rolling broadband contracts, having to wait almost a month to even get online in the first place seems like a big obstacle for you guys as a business. The kind of customers interested in 1 month contracts (like me) probably also really value plug-and-play setup: any way to speed this up? I would pay a higher setup fee if you could get me online in days rather than weeks.
- At the end of your sales funnel, add a quick summary of personal details - particularly address, so I can triple check that I’ve not been an idiot and put the wrong delivery address in.
- You do provide this info after purchasing, but I would’ve appreciated you saying exactly when you were going to take my setup fee and my first monthly charge out of my account before I bought. I was nervous that you’d bill me for the first month before my router had even arrived (I know, I know - I just have PTSD from BT, Sky, Virgin, etc)
- More charitable options for Compass (I’m sure this will come with time)
FYI I heard about you guys through your Instagram ads and they converted me immediately - big props to whoever’s doing your marketing and creative, they’re smashing it (imo, at least). Good targeting, too: I am your target market