FTTP Broadband service

Hi,

Are there any plans to offer an openreach based FTTP service?

Regards

Paul

3 Likes

Hiya @paultop6 (Paul)

Welcome To The Cuckoo Community !!! :smiley: :egg:
I See you’ve been registered for a while but this is the first time we’ve spoke.

To My Knowledge i believe its something on the Cuckoo “TO DO” list that i
keep hearing about and its getting longer by the day but as thats where
the worlds broadband services are heading i cant see it being too far
off as most streets are being dug up and cables starting to be laid.

I have Asked @Alex about this myself but maybe @oliver can look into this
for us more,However as theres two different versions of it FTTP & FTTP OD
the second option is Very Expensive to install if not available in your area
through the OpenReach infrastructure.

However it could be something to be looked into as a package that could be built
for people that may have it rolled out to there properties but all the options i’ve seen
are 12-24 month packages have huge build costs.

That Saying if the Team have any Plans im sure it will be Emailed or listed here
in the “Cuckoo Announcements” Section.

I suppose i could have just said “Nope” and kept this reply simple but then
thats not in my nature :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

Im mainly talking about the non on-demand variety of FTTP. FTTP is currently being rolled out where I live and was just interested to see if there where any plans afoot for a FTTP product.

Openreach vendors outside of BT for FTTP are few and far between at the moment, hence the question.

1 Like

Hi @paultop6, welcome to the community!

Right now we are FTTC only. FTTP is something I would love (and have), however not something we currently offer. We have no plans in the short term for FTTP, however have not ruled this out in future.

1 Like

Short answer from me: Longer term yes, but not while wholeasale prices are quite high. Once we get more supply in the market in next couple of years we should be in a better place imho.

1 Like

Hiya Paul,

I guessed you meant the Standard (WBC) FTTP Offerings and not the OD variation but
i just thought id cover it as its similar technology.

There are a few unknown providers that will be taking registrations when your tech
goes live but it depends if BT/OPENREACH will lock it to themselves first but in this day
and age they shouldnt…i follow the install areas via monthly mailshot from openreach
hoping for my area to be laid.

I had read that wholesale prices where quite high, and suspected thats why the reseller market was so small compared to FTTC.

Thanks for the prompt info either way, great to see you guys are forging ahead with a great product.

2 Likes

Hey I am wondering with the email I got on 12th March that FTTP testing has started. What is the estimated time frame for this to be rolled out?

@ShadowDragon6194 From what I know on this Phase it’s going to be only a select few customers to start off with just to make sure things don’t go pear shaped and will require quite a bit of testing before rolling out to everyone.

It’s only going to work if your in an area where FTTP Has actually been Rolled out.

Thanks @PhantomR1982 for the response. I believe FTTP is being rolled out in my area.

1 Like

I’m going to get crucified for this but ping @oliver to run a check for your account and see what he can find out.

Hahahaha thanks @PhantomR1982

@Oliver tell off @PhantomR1982 for this. But is there anyway you can check people’s accounts for FTTP?

1 Like

@ShadowDragon6194 unfortunately you are showing as not having FTTP in your area yet. I can also see no forecast date (this can change with almost no notice though).

We will start messaging our eligible customers soon, once we have trialed this and are happy with the service provided to us and the service we are able to provide to customers.

You can identify FTTP services here as Ultrafast Full Fibre. If it does not say this, then it looks like you don’t yet have FTTP - Fibre First: Your future with broadband | Openreach

3 Likes

Thanks @Oliver very helpful to know.

2 Likes

Hello! I’m not a Cuckoo customer (yet) but I’d love to be and have already recommended you to a friend (who has since signed up and is very happy with the service).

I’m about to complete on a house purchase that has FTTP installed and ready to go. I have heard some rumblings about Cuckoo supporting FTTP in the not too distant future, but was wondering if there was a timeline for it? I’d hate to lock myself into a lengthy contract with BT/Zen when I’d prefer to be with Cuckoo.

1 Like

Welcome @srgnt, we should be kicking off our customer trials within the next few weeks. We have a meeting about this on 2nd June, then will hopefully be in a position to offer FTTP to existing customers.

As we are currently working through a few things, this is of course subject to potential delays, so I would not want to promise anything to you at this time.

Prior to then, I would not be able to provide an answer to you about Cuckoo FTTP.

Oliver
Head of Service

Im still definitely keen on getting a FTTP service with you guys when it comes to the point of trials or general availability.

Being in Northern Ireland there is really flakey reseller committment, for instance Sky, Vodafone, TalkTalk do provide Openreach based FTTP services, just not to NI/are really selective of postcode in NI.

The likes of BT/EE and Zen do cover here, but the contract lockin is very long and unpalatable.

Ideally we will be quite public about our FTTP trials, @paultop6. As mentioned before, I do not currently know what these look like, or the timeline at the moment, however it should be imminent.

We have trialed this with employees and have only had issues with engineer appointments at the moment - given that some properties can be quite complex, its sometimes required 3+ weeks of work, on top of a 2 week cooling off period. Existing customers are the best candidates, as we can keep them on Cuckoo FTTC until they are happy with their Cuckoo FTTP.

Thanks for the reply Oliver, appreciate you sharing what you can. Do you foresee this offer extending to new customers (hello!) as well? I’m not able to sign up to Cuckoo currently, as the house is a new build and only has fibre going to it (first world problem, I know).

Hi @srgnt, no problem! I would love to offer FTTP to new customers at some point in the next few months. We have heard some horror stories, which we can avoid with existing customers (i.e. they already have internet).

Given that you have existing FTTP, it could be something we explore first. Offering FTTP to existing ports. Most issues stem from installing a new port/upgrading the line.