Use your own router

We are constantly listening to customer feedback in this community. One of the main things that has come up over the last few weeks is the ability to have no Cuckoo router sent to you and instead use your own router from day 1.

Not only is this great for you because you don’t have the hassle of yet another unused router in your cupboard/loft/bin. But you’re also doing your bit for the environment by reducing technology waste :recycle:.

So as of today, you can sign up to Cuckoo with the option to use your own router from your go-live date!

Which router will you use?

6 Likes

Woop woop

I’m going to choose the one that has fake dialup sounds

1 Like

Hi, can I just enter the connection type (PPOE), and my username and password, to connect a third party router modem?

Or, will it just work ‘automagically’ when connected to the modem socket?

I will probably want to keep using the WIFI on the Cuckoo router, cause it’s very stable.

Nope, you will need to put the cuckoo into modem/bridge mode, that will kill all of it’s functions and will act purely as a bridge. There’s no way its wireless is better than a 3rd party router anyway. If it was then don’t use the 3rd party one because it must be very old. Your PPoE details are on your Cuckoo page when you sign into the main site. Cuckoo also has a guide how to exactly this, I’d read that carefully first. https://www.cuckoo.co/help/joining-cuckoo/setting-up-your-own-router

Hi @cbdeakin if your router & modem support PPOE connection type, then yes you will be able to enter the username and password found in My Account for it to connect to the internet. But the important part is that your router has a built in modem as well for this to happen.

However, if it does NOT have a built in modem then @MV_Dev_Null is correct you can switch our router into Bridge Mode by following the guide.

1 Like

Hi, I connected a different router + modem and the VDSL line wouldn’t connect. I remembered that sometimes you need to enable VLANs on routers to connect to some ISPs.
These settings were needed on an Asus router to connect (off by default):
VLAN: 101
IPv4 and IPv6 enabled

You can usually find these settings on the WAN page of your router’s web interface.

1 Like

So, does this mean that I can now invest in a funky new wifi 6 router?

I really fancy the Netgear Nighthawk as it looks really menacing and I’m hoping it’ll scare the wife :wink: :laughing: but have been holding off because I didn’t think it would work on Cuckoo.

Hi @Tranceking,

Yes you can use your router if it’s compatible with the things @dan has said. We can’t provide comprehensive support for people’s own routers because there are so many different brands and models!

But please be assured we will never blanket refuse to help people who use their own router. We think it’s better for the environment if people who are comfortable and where they want to, use their own router to stop them piling up in the back of a cupboard!

Kind Regards
Edd

1 Like

@gouledw in my case I was thinking of upgrading to a WIFI6 router as I’m looking to make my house more smart and I’m not sure how many connections your supplied router would be able to cope with as I slowly add sensors, lights, smart devices etc.

I keep hearing that ISP supplied devices tend not to be the most advanced with how much they can cope with so I wanted to invest in a new router that I could use for the next several years and would be strong enough to cope with a smart house. Obviously if I’m able to use it sooner rather than later then so much the better.

Hello @Tranceking, I apologise I have overlooked your response.

I would not agree on the exact wording of your statement. You are correct in thinking that we have to negotiate certain compromises, and find the best fit that works for the majority of our customers. Our routers are very good, and versatile Technicolor routers. I would say that the vast majority of our customers find our router perfect for their needs. A few customers choose to buy premium products because they want a business grade wifi experience. There are also a few customers who don’t get on with our routers due to the construction of their house or their usage.

What I would say is the most important thing to remember, is that wifi coverage is variable at the best of times. Ethernet will always provide you with the most solid connection.

ISP routers are the cheapest of the cheap, and features totally depend on what the manufacturer has on the base model from which it is derived, and also how much the ISP wants to hobble the firmware for the lowest common denominator. (i.e. stopping the idiots breaking it) ANYTHING else is a fib for marketing. If any ISP ever break away and start offering actually useful options such as open source I hope it’s Cuckoo.

@MV_Dev_Null Our base model router is used as a ‘premium model’ by some very technically niche ISPs.

1 Like

Certainly not the worst for sure, modem built in makes perfect sense, but doesn’t even touch the most basic third party router for features. It is perfectly adequate for your VDSL offerings though and most people don’t need to upgrade even if they think it is.
It’s great that you’re open to 3rd party stuff, I’d be interested to know why you use individual user/pass and not generic like BT.

I’m presuming you mean PPP details? We are actually looking at ways we can simplify this, however as you can imagine with around 7000 routers in our estate already configured like this we have to work carefully to ensure our service remains consistent. Personally I would like us to use a generic username for authentication.

On a more personal note @MV_Dev_Null if you ever want to have a chat about any concerns or feedback you have for our services or offering I’m more than happy to do this. Just send me a PM :pray:

I am trying to use my Asus AX6000 (RTAX88U). I have set it up at PPPoE and with the username and PW on my account but it won’t connect. Has anyone else managed it successfully?

1 Like

@unserrer i can certainly take a look tomorrow to see what the problem is and whether or not we can get you up and running with your ASUS router.

Can you email hello@cuckoo.co from your accounts registered email address with a link to this post so I can pick this up tomorrow.