Which companies do you love? ❤

It’s not controversial to say that most people don’t tend to like their broadband provider. We want that to change - we want people to really love Cuckoo.

To help us with this challenge, we want to know which other companies you love, and why. Who gives amazing customer service? Whose brand and communication style is second-to-none? Who makes you feel excited and full of joy? Who do you tell your friends and family about unprompted?

Share here :+1:

1 Like

Great question! Here’s a few from me:

McDonalds
Tony’s Chocolonely
Rentokil (weird I know)
Lemonade
Bulb
Games Workshop
Wattbike
Jagex (Runescape)
Kojima Productions (Metal Gear Solid games)

1 Like

@Alex Metal Gear Solid! Classic.

Patagonia
Monzo
Guardian
IFTTT
Garmin
Deliveroo
Duolingo
Shazam

3 Likes

Also…Brewdog and Virgin Atlantic

2 Likes

Theres always many companies that one person will praise about and the next person will scream about

I’ve always been a great Fan Of Orange (Now EE) for many years but there network is degrading and i personally cant see where the money from customers bills are going as my phone signal in most places is non existent when i go walking and they always end up giving me compensation for the poor service But saying that they do try hard to resolve issues and work with customers.

Amazon (US & UK) :- Always Great Deals but there call centres are abroad and they dont like checking things and try to confuse you…USA Support are always far superior though on the rare occasion they answer the calls.

McDonalds :- Cheap Food when on the road but always a smiling face even when they make mistakes.

To many to list & praise but that gives you an idea. :smiley:

2 Likes

Number 1 has to be Monzo: easily the best customer service I’ve received from a bank. The in app chat function is great and normally means my query is solved ASAP.
Also:
Curve
Dozens
IFTTT (works well with dozens and Monzo)
Octopus Energy
Tony’s Chocolonely
Nordgreen watches

4 Likes

Wow, a lot of love for companies that are pretty evil.

I use business management software called Dubsado to help run my business. They are such a user focused company which is very refreshing.

Originally they started with a team of 14, they now have over 40 employees. It also sounds like such a cool place to work. They’ve kept all support and development in-house and local to their office, which I really admire.

They have a huge online community on Facebook where customers help each other out but the dubsado owner, she often chimes in on conversations and helps people out, or simply points them in the direction of support, you don’t often see that.

They have online chat using intercom and they are responsive all hours of the day and night. They also utilise status page to inform of any outages. They do regular blogs, tutorials, videos, vlogs, even live Q&As where you can talk to the owner. I feel like I know the owner of the company personally. (I don’t)

It’s just a super responsive, passionate yet transparent company.

1 Like

Nice one!

Should have also mentioned Notion. We’re run off them and its AWESOME.

1 Like

It’s an interesting one. There are some brands which maybe ‘loved’ by their consumers for their customer experience, but simultaneously morally evil because of the mistreatment of their staff worldwide (think fashion industry with Primark or even 1970’s Nike).

To use Nike as an example, here’s a few little experience highlights from buying new running trainers from Nike.com which you might find interesting.

1. Product pages are comprehensive with good media (video/photos) to support the product storytelling/feature benefits
  2. Due to volume of products available, big increase on cognitive load. If you are looking for something specific (for me it was an ‘everyday’ mid-distance running trainer). I ended up finding it v.hard to compare models and make a decision because too many similar options. A sea of sameness.
  3. Their editorially curated ‘shoe finder’ was super useful https://www.nike.com/gb/running/shoe-finder < this was the best resource i found for narrowing my choices and reassured me i was making the right decision
  4. I had a few questions around the product that were still unanswered on the website. I then launched the webchat (easy to find CTA bottom right of browser window). This launched into a direct conversation with a CSA who was v.helpful and clearly knew their products. I was not logged in. The webchat interaction this did two things A) Increased my brand perception of Nike B) Closed the deal on my order…i was finally ready to commit feeling reassured i had all the information i needed to make my decision
  5. I love the dynamic delivery tracker they have (screen shot attached). It has a visual countdown until my package arrives which is a nice touch, with then a cross sell component to drive me to New Arrivals.

Anyway – hope you UX geeks find that interesting.

So from a customer experience perspective, I think they’re great – but when I read historical (and some more recent) stories such about the mistreatment of employees (for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike_sweatshops) it makes you question your moral standing with a brand.

2 Likes

Glad you had a good experience due to their UX.

Shame about those working in its supplier factories where Nike has actively blocked monitoring by labour rights experts and the WRC. As well as using dubiously sourced animal products including cruel down and leather.

A who cares about intergenerational justice when Nike can save some money by polluting waterways, exposing workers to toxic chemicals and operate in an entirely unsustainable way?

These policies, as is typical, unfairly affect women (80% of garment workers are women in Indonesia) and people in developing countries. Also worth mentioning that this is a company with entrenched systemic gender discrimination, sexual harassment and that massively perpetuates race injustice while leveraging sponsorship of black athletes for its own commercial benefits.

Nike have annual revenue of $30 billion and are happy to pay sponsorships worth hundreds of millions a year but refuse to engage in discussing fair pay. If Nike and adidas would have kept their sponsor contracts or dividends at the 2012 levels instead of increasing them to unprecedented levels, they would have saved enough money to cover living wages for the workers in their main production countries Indonesia, China, Vietnam, and Cambodia.

They are fully aware what they are doing and perpetuating and if the above is not “evil”, I’m not sure what is.

So no, I don’t think good consumer experience means people should “love” a company like this under any circumstances.

1 Like

Monzo (though I’m biased :sweat_smile:)
Slack
Notion
Innocent
KFC (for their digital engagement)
Coconut
Buffer

2 Likes

BTW I love Notion’s bug updates and summary.

We use them at Cuckoo for everything in the business.

1 Like

Automattic (I’m biased)
Salesforce
Github
Monzo (I think there’s probably going to be quite the Monzo/Cuckoo crossover)
Apple
Amazon (Yes, yes, I know, but you really have to respect what they’ve done)
Disney (who will probably own everything given enough years)
McDonalds

Fun fact - a friend works in commercial Health & Safety as an inspector. McD’s is the only fast-food place they’re happy for their kids to go to.

I’ve just realised too that I have books about 5 of the companies on that list. Huh.

3 Likes

Just got this book. V good. Bit stats heavy though.

1 Like

This looks really interesting! Are there any key takeaways you’ve got from it so far? :eyes:

I’m working my way through Mindf*ck by Christopher Wylie and Democracy Hacked by Martin Moore at the moment, but I’m a sucker for anything that’s stats heavy :joy:

I read “The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon”.

Are you on Goodreads, Alex?

Yup! THough don’t use it that much (bit of an eclectic mix). Here’s my profile: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/39546537-alexander

Really! That’s a strong fact of the day…

My guilty pleasure is sausage egg mcmuffins to be fair

2 Likes

Bacon & Egg McMuffin here

3 Likes